The listed functional systems below (and others that are not listed) need to be integrated into one SG system. Today, the functional systems provide very limited exchange of information between them, often with conflicting outcomes. Integration of these functional systems needs to be prioritised from utility prospective and written in “Utility’s SG roadmap”.
• GIS (Geographical Information System) – including Global Positioning System (GPS), assets spatial locations, asset ID# with description..;
• CRM (Customer Relationship Management) – including CIS (customer information system), AMI (Advanced Metering Infrastructure) or MDM (Meter Data Management), TOU (Time Of Use) rate, CPP (Critical Peak Pricing);
• OMS (Outage Management System) – including FLISR (Fault Location Isolation and Supply Restoration) or SA (Substation Assistant) - cost reduction, minimize downtime, predict fault location, estimate size of outages, duration of outages, prioritizing restoration efforts, broadcasting info on extent of outage, and estimation of restoration times; WFM (Work Force Management) or WMS (Work Management System) or MWM (Mobile Workforce Management) - maintenance optimization, management of crews assisting in restoration, calculation of crews required for restoration...;
• EMS (Energy Management System) – including DR (demand response), EV (electrical vehicle - storage management), usage balancing, cost optimization...;
• AMS (Asset Management System) – including CMS (Condition Monitoring System), and CBM (Condition Based Maintenance) - asset life cycle management, development of new capacities, specific asset performance monitoring, replacement of obsolete assets, operational and non-operational data analysis, maintenance optimization, response time improvement, predictive maintenance, better planning...
• DOC (Document management systems) – technical data base for operations/ maintenance management, financial data base management...;
• ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) or BMS (Business Management System) - assets inventory, purchasing, HR, maintenance...;
• SA (Substation Automation), including SCADA (System Control And Data Acquisition) – operational data management...,
• DMS (Distribution Management System), including DCS (Distributed Control System) or DA (Distribution Automation), FA (Feeder Automation), VVO (Volt/Var Optimization)